Did you know that Illinois ranks second in the nation for soybean production? Here’s the skinny on soybean facts:
• One acre of soybeans can produce 82,368 crayons.
• During the Civil War, soybeans were used in place of coffee because real coffee was scarce.
• 98 percent of the soybean and livestock farms in the country are still family farms.
• U.S. farmers first grew soybeans as cattle feed.
• 45 percent of the world’s soybean acreage and 55 percent of production is in the United States.
• Soy ink is used to print newspapers and textbooks.
• The soybean is the highest natural source of dietary fiber.