Garlic: The Stealthy, Healthy Superfood
Well worth the risk of garlic breath, this nutrient-rich bulb brings a bevy of health benefits. Studies show that garlic may promote wellness and healing by:
- Boosting immunity, possibly staving off the common cold
- Promoting heart health, including reduced cholesterol and lowered blood pressure
- Containing cancer-fighting characteristics
- Acting as a natural antibiotic
- Clearing skin, easing conditions ranging from acne to athlete’s foot
- Working as an anti-inflammatory for sore or inflamed joints or muscles
Raw garlic offers the most health benefits. But if you choose to cook it, don’t heat it above 140 degrees.
A word of caution: Garlic acts as a natural blood thinner, so it should only be eaten in moderation by anyone taking prescription anticoagulants.
Sources: Northwestern Medicine, Cleveland Clinic
See more: 3 Ways to Preserve Produce